Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Hatzollah Saved My Life!

In the previous post, I told the story of my near-death experience as I went into anaphylactic shock following a bee sting.

Without the help of Hatzollah, I don't think that I would be here today to tell the tale.

Hatzollah are a medical emergency response group manned entirely by practicing orthodox Jewish doctors and paramedics. They operate on an entirely voluntary basis, and cover costs purely by means of donations. They are based in the north-eastern suburbs of Johannesburg which is where they are most active.

They are in the business of saving lives. Saving a life is the greatest 'mitzvah' of all. To save a life is to save the world. Saving a life takes precedence over all the laws of the Sabbath or any other Jewish holiday.

It was my son that called Hatzollah. They were at the house within three minutes. I was taken into the ambulance and put straight onto oxygen and taken straight into the hospital emergency wing where the staff and doctors had already been primed.

The dedication and efficiency of this group must be highly commended. Late on a Saturday night, the emergency services are very busy. There would have been little chance of getting that kind of response anywhere else.

I didn't get a chance to thank them then. I am belatedly thanking them now.

No comments: